Sunday, February 19, 2012

By Tuesday night, I will have ridden 1001 miles so far this year. :-)

On the way home yesterday, I was approaching a left turn from a 2-lane road.  I was riding just inside the centerline as I prepared to turn.  A car, which had previously honked at me because I was in the way, pulled up beside me on the right.  He slowed down (so he was obviously not in a hurry and thus not inconvenienced by my presence), rolled down his window (in 36-degree conditions), and informed me that I was supposed to ride "off to the right side of the road."  I prepared to make a snappy, sarcastic remark about how he wasn't supposed to pass on the right, but instead surprised myself by calming saying, "Yeah, except I'm turning left up here.  Thanks, though," with only the slightest hint of sarcasm in my thank-you.

While he didn't cause a problem and the road was plenty wide enough for his illegal pass, this brings to light one of my pet peeves: if he hadn't been so busy worrying about where I was riding, legally, he could have been more focused on where he was driving, illegally.  If all of us as drivers would stop worrying so much about what other people are doing (I'm guilty of muttering about stop sign runners quite often myself), perhaps we could improve our own driving and make the roadways safer for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment